Below you’ll find haunted places in and around around Essex with history about their spiritual activity. In most places we’ve visited, we’ve heard noises, seen orbs and sometimes even experienced physical contact or objects being moved.
We often run ghost hunting events at some of the most haunted places throughout the UK. If you'd like more information visit our events page.
Palace Theatre is located in Westcliff-On-Sea, Southend. The theatre opened on Monday 21 October 1912 and named as the “Palace of Varieties” on 14 November. The theatre was built by Ward & Ward of London and was owned by Mr. Raymond of the Raymond Picture Company who also controlled 14 other cinemas and theatres. By the standards of the day, it was a modern building, claiming to be the only building of its time to be fitted so that “no matter from what part of the building spectators look up to the stage, there is a clear and uninterrupted view”. It seated 1500 compared to 603 today.
In December 1912 the Theatre was renamed as “The New Palace”, presenting a forerunner of the TV talent show Opportunity Knocks. In 1919 Mrs Gertude Mouillot bought the theatre for £25,000, intending to open it as a cinema but owing to the steep “rake” of the circle, it was impossible to project pictures from the front.
Actors have reported weird tobacco smells, and theatre-goers sitting with no one beside them have reported feeling a hand on their shoulder.
The spirit is thought to be that of a theatre manager who hung himself from the fly floor when the theatre got into financial difficulties. Sightings of a ‘distinguished woman in white’ and the sound of a piano coming from the deserted pit add to the eerie atmosphere.
Hey, like this? Why not share it with a buddy?
The Red Lion Hotel situated in Colchester town centre is a grad I listed building built in 1465. The Inn’s…
The Royal Gunpowder Mills, Waltham Abbey, were in operation for over 300 years; however, from the mid-1850s…
St. Peter’s church in Alresford, Essex was built by Anfred de Staunton around 1300. It is situated about a mile…